There are many different types of dental floss, so it’s difficult to know which types are the most effective. The “right” kind of floss is the one you use every day. Whether you have a personal preference about the flavor or thickness of floss, the most important floss is the one that does the job daily.
Why Should You Floss?
Dental floss removes food trapped between the teeth and prevents bacteria from growing before it causes plaque. Cleaning between teeth is essential to your daily oral hygiene routine. Flossing and brushing every day helps to effectively clean between tight spaces for a sparkling clean mouth.
Types of Floss
Floss is usually nylon-based or made from rubber or plastic. If you’re uncertain about which type of dental floss is best, here are some helpful tips:
- For an easier fit, try waxed or easy-glide dental floss.
- Use dental tape for large gaps between teeth.
- For braces or bridges, soft spongy floss is a good option.
- For recessed gums, a loop or threader may be helpful.
- Pay attention to rips or tears in your floss. It may be evidence of a cavity, or a broken or chipped tooth.
Ask your dentist which type of dental floss is best for your teeth. Discover more about the importance of flossing from a dentist you trust. Enroll with the EDP Dental Plan via our online registration form or call 631.272.5230 to speak with an EDP representative today.